The doctrine of the Atonement is central to all Christian theology because it involves our salvation. It is essential because it help us understand and appreciate our salvation.
1. Atonement involves a payment to make amends for a debt.
2. Human beings cannot atone for their own sins.
3. Jesus’ perfection qualified Him to make atonement.
4. Christ fulfilled the curse of the Old Covenant.
5. Christ’s atonement was both a work of substitution and satisfaction.
6. The Father and Son worked in harmony to effect our reconciliation.
Biblical passages for reflection:
Romans 3:21-28, Romans 5:17-19, Ephesians 1:7, Philippians 3:8-9, Titus 3:1-7